What is a morning routine?
- A daily ritual you perform every single morning as soon as you wake up before work. Morning rituals set the tone for the rest of your day.
- “Every action you take is a vote for the person you’re trying to become” -Atomic Habits, James Clear
Benefits of a morning routine:
- Less stress: YOU control your schedule instead of letting your schedule control you. Mornings are typically known for being chaotic, but they don’t have to be this way if you choose to take control over it.
- Prioritize Self-care: A morning routine helps you take care of your mind and body before the rest of the day demands your attention. Ever notice that when you push a workout to the end of the day something often comes up and you end up not working out at all? Well, if you got it over with in the morning, that would never happen. You’ll feel 100% after you took that extra time in the morning to take care of yourself and are ready to take on the day, no matter what life throws at you. Remember, you can’t fill from an empty cup!
- Better sleep quality: Think you don’t have time to do a morning routine? That means you need to wake up a little earlier, which means you need to sleep earlier! Consistently going to sleep and getting up at the same time every day has a positive impact on your sleep. You’ll be surprised at what waking up just 30 minutes earlier can do.
- Reach your health goals: When moving your body is part of your morning routine, it becomes a habit that you won’t be able to live without. You’ll notice you will begin to workout to feel good both mentally and physically, rather than to look a certain way. But because you are doing it consistently every single day, you will end up seeing the results you always wanted. You will also make better eating decisions throughout the day, because of all the hard work you already put in that morning.
Steps to a successful morning routine
Take a screenshot or print out this infographic as a checklist!
- Avoid going on your phone as soon as you wake up (unless absolutely necessary). Most of us will check social media or respond to text messages / emails before we even brush our teeth or drink water! The moment you look at your phone, your mind will become reactive to everything. By taking care of your personal obligations first without distractions, you can respond to the demands of others with a clear mind. We like to utilize Apple’s “Do Not Disturb” setting so we don’t receive any notifications until we are done with our morning routine.
- Drink water! Ever feel hungry as soon as you wake up? Probably means you’re just thirsty! You haven’t had water for 8 hours so you’re probably dehydrated. We like to drink a huge 40oz water bottle before our first meal of the day.
- Meditate. Some people could never imagine themselves sitting in silence, alone with their thoughts. This is something we struggle with doing every day, but when we are able to take even 5 or 10 minutes to meditate, it clears our minds and centers our focus. Think of meditation like a gym for your brain – the more you practice it, the stronger your mental focus and clarity will be no matter what the day throws at you.
- Move your body: Get your blood flowing! Not every day has to be a hard workout. Some days can be yoga, walking, or stretching, but the goal is to move your body every single day to keep your heart and mind healthy. You’ll feel so great after you get those endorphins flowing and you’ll have one less thing to do for the rest of the day.
- Get outside: We suggest going for a short walk outside (this could also be your workout.) Did you know that just getting 10 minutes of sunshine in the morning can boost your mood and energy levels?
- Take a cold shower: There are numerous benefits to showering in cold vs. hot water. Improved skin and hair, decreased inflammation, improved blood circulation, and potential weight loss are only some of the benefits of taking cold showers regularly. When you take a cold shower, it activates your body’s energy, waking you up quicker than a double shot of espresso. This doesn’t mean you have to always shower in cold water but a quick rinse after your morning routine to get your day started will kick you into high gear.
- Eat a healthy breakfast: Now after all those things you did to improve your well-being, you’re definitely not going to want to ruin it with an unhealthy meal. Think of food as FUEL! What nutrients does your body need to function at its optimal performance? Remi’s favorite go-to breakfast is a protein smoothie with protein powder, almond milk, fruits, spinach, almond butter, and chia seeds for a quick and nutrient dense meal. Bryn’s go-to breakfast is avocado toast on sourdough bread with an egg, spinach, and pickled onions.
If it seems daunting to incorporate all of these into your life at once, just take it one step at a time. Even just not going on your phone and drinking water as soon as you wake up are HUGE steps to improving the quality of your life. The goal isn’t to do a million things every single morning, but instead to do a couple small things consistently. Trust us, once these things become habits you will see huge results! We have grown to love our morning routines and hope you do too.